A Best Practices Tip for Tax Professionals – -Child Care Contribution Credit:

When a taxpayer claims the Child Care Contribution Tax Credit, the DR 1317, “Child Care Contribution Tax Credit Certification” must be completed by the organization/entity that receives the donation from the taxpayer. Then the organization gives the completed form to the taxpayer. A copy of this form MUST be submitted with the return that claims this tax credit. The taxpayer may complete the Social Security/Colorado Account Number portion of the certification form after the organization completes the form. For information about this credit, see publication FYI Income 35.

Taxpayers may obtain their Colorado Account Number (CAN) by accessing their tax account in Revenue Online (www.Colorado.gov/RevenueOnline). Please note that credits from 2011 and 2012 are carried forward to 2013. Credits from 2010 and prior years are still allowable on the 2011 and 2012 tax returns.